Hurricane garage doors, also called impact-resistant doors, are built to withstand high winds that accompany hurricanes and other tropical storms. Constructed from vertical reinforcement posts, windlock guides, and engineered fasteners, their heavy-duty assembly is targeted towards withstanding powerful winds. If you live in a location where high winds and tropical storms are common, hurricane garage doors could mean the difference between losing your home or keeping it.
Some hurricane proof garage doors can withstand up to 200 miles an hour, protecting your home from the most extreme weather conditions. Along with hurricane doors, there are impact-rated windows, built to withstand wind-borne debris. If you stand a chance of coming across powerful storms, hurricane doors are absolutely worth it.
Why Are Hurricane Garage Doors Important?
- Security and Safety: Hurricane garage doors protect against heavy winds, which are subject to come at any time. You may not be able to prepare for a storm, but if you have hurricane proof garage doors, they will be ready.
- Insurance: Lower rates are usually available for impact-resistant doors, as they show that you’re prepared for weather damage.
- Prevent Damage: No matter where you live, your home is subject to wind and water damage. With hurricane garage doors, your home will be better protected against the elements.
- Low Maintenance: Because hurricane doors are built to be extremely durable, their construction is almost impenetrable. They can take hits without denting, and don’t require much maintenance, as they’re already built to last.
How to Choose Your Hurricane Door
WindCode ratings are important because they determine how much wind your garage door can withstand. WindCodes range from W1 to W9. W1 represents one and two-story structures that can withstand 90 mph winds. The highest, W9, portrays two-story buildings that can withstand 150 mph.
Your home’s structure, such as whether it’s one or two stories, will determine the type of pressure it’s exposed to. It’s also important which direction your house is facing. Both the orientation of your house and its structure will affect the wind load pressure. There are two types of wind load pressure:
Positive wind pressure: Winds that push the garage door into your house.
Negative wind pressure: Winds that pull the garage door from your house.
The level of wind resistance that your garage door requires depends on the state that you live in. In certain states, homes must follow the International Building Code (IBC), which requires builders to meet certain standards of minimum wind loads. These states have special garage door requirements: California, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Nevada, and Utah. Even if you don’t live in one of these states, it can be incredibly beneficial to install a hurricane door.
Can You Hurricane-Proof Your Existing Door?
The short answer is yes, there are ways to hurricane-proof your existing garage door. Unfortunately, they are not as effective as hurricane doors. In a short amount of time, you can add braces and hurricane panels. Depending on the strength of the storm, these methods may or may not work. There are two advantages that genuine hurricane garage doors have over these short term solutions:
- Durability: Hurricane doors are built with the specific purpose of withstanding strong winds. Thus, their heavy-duty hardware is already programmed for tropical storms.
- Convenience: After your hurricane door installation, no further setup is required. You can rest assured that your garage door is prepared to encounter powerful winds.
Install Your Hurricane Door Today
No matter where you live, hurricane doors are a worthwhile investment for your home. Even if your location is not prone to tropical storms, your home may be subjected to powerful winds that you aren’t prepared for. Why not install hurricane garage doors? They’re an additional safety measure that could save your home from extreme damage. Wind-resistant doors can also fit your home’s style, so you don’t have to worry about limited style options with your hurricane door. If you’re interested in learning more about hurricane proof garage doors, give our team at Garage Door Enterprises a call. Here in Chesapeake VA, your home could greatly benefit from hurricane doors.